Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The Prodigal God and the Older Brother

Prodigal Son, by Hieronymus Bosch.Image via Wikipedia

You may have heard of the big best seller by Pastor Tim Keller called "Prodigal God" It's based on the beloved well known parable by Jesus usually called "The Prodigal Son." Pastor Keller explains the parable is really all about The extravagant Father who like God is constantly pouring His love on His children.

Lately I've been thinking allot about the older son with the attitude. We often overlook him because we all relate to the younger son who's the big screw up. Who hasn't messed up one time or another?

Sometimes though I can really relate to the older brother.

"Here I am stuck at church! Always the last one to leave. (NOT true, it just seems that way)

When are they going to appreciate what I do?!

Whine whine mutter mutter mutter!"


But thanks to our prodigal extravagant God a wrong attitude is easy to overcome! Notice in the parable The Father goes out to the older brother like he did for the younger. Even though his son is having a one man pity party, The Father knows just what to say to comfort his oldest son.

"You have always been with me and everything I have is yours!"


That's an awesome truth to consider when you realize who The Father is in the parable. And it helps me continue to do the right things and keep the right attitude.

Now if I could just figure out how to not let my right hand know what the left is doing without getting confused. :-)
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment